Alysha was worried for days that she would say wrong things and that I would be sent back to Korea. I wasn't worried until I had a bad dream that morning of a car losing both of its right tires. However, we knew we could trust the Lord.
I always thought that the Lord would not permit me to stay in the US for this long and then send me back to Korea now, especially now that I am married to a girl who wouldn't be able to survive a day without me. Who will cook for her? :)
As we waited, we looked at other couples who were there for an interview. We looked way more prepared than others and most definitely married than one couple who waited without even talking to each other.
Our names were called. We were brought into a small office. The interviewer told us to stay standing to swear by an oath to tell the truth. Of course, we would. I don't remember much of the interview; however, I remember him asking us how we met. I asked him if he were a Mormon (because I saw him wearing a name tag with a BYU lanyard) and he replied that I should just tell the story but added that he's been in Utah for a long time. I felt instantly better.
As we related our story to him, he asked few questions here and there. We also had a lot of evidence showing that we are actually married. I remember telling him how its hard to find a job with BS in Psychology and then he pointed at his diploma from Weber State University and said that he got his BS in Psychology.
In the end, he told us that he believes that we are married and that he would approve the application for permanent residency.
We did it! After more than 13 years, I have become a permanent resident (kind of) of the US. I can stay in the US with Alysha!
I know that the Lord does not grant every wish that we have because He has a plan for us; however, I also know that we can always trust Him that we will feel peace and comfort when we try to understand His will.
"Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand." (How Firm a Foundation, Hymns, no. 85)
0 comments:
Post a Comment