![]() |
| Forget-me-not |
"...if we spend our days waiting for fabulous roses, we could miss the beauty and wonder of the tiny forget-me-nots that are all around us.As I was writing in my journal, I wanted to start writing something that would be beneficial for those (most likely my posterity) who read my journals. As I thought about it, I had an inspiration to write about being happy with what you have. President Uchtdorf gave a talk on it in 2011 during General Relief Society Meeting (and yes, I have watched and read it online) and it goes perfectly with my thought.
"This is not to say that we should abandon hope or temper our goals. Never stop striving for the best that is within you. Never stop hoping for all of the righteous desires of your heart. But don’t close your eyes and hearts to the simple and elegant beauties of each day’s ordinary moments that make up a rich, well-lived life." -From Forget Me Not by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf-
A lot of times we focus so much on what we don't have that we forget to be grateful for what we have. If you keep complaining about life, being bored, not being in a relationship, having no friends, etc, you will never appreciate what you have, talents you already have, friends you already have, and the joy of being single. I am not saying that have more things will make you happier. What I am saying though is that if you only focus on what you don't have, you will never be happy when you obtain what you wanted because you will only seek out for what you don't have.
A friend, M., reminded me how if you are happy being single (I would add "with what you have), you will be happy when you are in a relationship (or when you have more). If you are not satisfied with life right now, you will not be satisfied with life when you are in a relationship. You might say that you will be happier when you are with someone. That is true; however, you will think about "better" things or what the person doesn't have rather than what he/she has or what you already have.
I believe that is the point that President Uchtdorf was trying to make. You should be striving for better things; however, you should not be so focused on those things and blinded by them that you are so oblivious to what you have around you now.
Related Post
Giving Gratitude
.webp)
0 comments:
Post a Comment