I have been thinking for a long time what it means to magnify a calling that you receive, but first let's talk about the mission/goal of your calling. As an activities committee co-chair, you would want to plan activities where members of your ward would come, mingle, and have fun. As a temple committee co-chair, you want to plan a ward temple trip so that people would have an opportunity to go to the temple at least once a month. As an elders quorum or a relief society president, you find ways to serve brethren or sisters and help them be active in the Church. It may seem like they all have different goals or purposes. However, the foundation of those goals is this: invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end (Preach My Gospel pg. 1). When you focus on helping others come unto Christ, you are fulfilling your calling whatever it may be.
Now, how does that help you magnify your calling? If you are focusing on people who might be struggling or who need help, you plan activities, lessons, times, etc around those people's needs. Instead of planning activities, you are now helping them feel the Spirit and come close to Christ. One thing I noticed when I started thinking this way is that I am constantly thinking about what I can do fulfill my calling better. It doesn't just happen once a week but it becomes a daily routine. I spend some time pondering about it and writing things down, and the Lord sometimes sends me people who gives me more and many times better ideas on how to fulfill my calling. When the Lord commanded us to be "anxiously engaged in a good cause," I believe this is what He was referring to.
I am not perfect at fulfilling my calling, let alone magnifying it. However, when our goal becomes bringing others to Christ, we see more blessings and receive more revelations on how to magnify our callings. Take some time each day to think about your calling and what you can do to magnify it. You will see so much difference.
0 comments:
Post a Comment