Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Meaning of Love

This is what happens when I work till midnight and got nothing to do.

Another philosophy I will talk about is the definition of love. I don't know if I talked about this before but this is pretty important to me. I think this is like a sign that I grew up.

I don't know what I thought love was but I am pretty sure it's different now.

I will start with what I used to think what love was. In the past, I thought that love was just a feeling I get from someone. If I feel a little different about a girl than other girls, then I must've been in love. I could fall in love at first sight.

Now I don't believe in love at first sight. I don't believe that love is just a feeling; a feeling is a part of love but it doesn't complete love.

I think I need to start explaining what I believe love is by using the scriptures. John 17:3 says, "This is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (Emphasis added) Also John 14:15 states, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." The reason why I used these two scriptures is that I think they go together. Here's my explanation. To gain eternal life we have to know God and Jesus Christ but also we know that to gain eternal life, we have to keep God's commandments. As we keep His commandments, we learn about His nature and about Him. As we keep His commandments, we are getting to know Him meaning we are gaining eternal life. Also when we keep His commandments, we are loving Him. Meaning loving and knowing are the same thing. In the Old Testament, it talks about "knowing" someone intimately. When Adam "knew" Eve, Eve was conceived, and so on.

I will try to put it in a simpler way. Have you heard older couples say that as they get older and spend their life with their loved ones, they love them more? Do you think that they didn't love each other before? Of course, they did, but I believe that they love each other more because they learn more about each other. As they learn more about each other, their love for each other grows.

Now bringing this concept to my life. I have told girls that I love them, but now I would never say that to a girl unless I know her sufficiently. I might care about her or be attracted to her but I would never say that I "love" her. It seems very sacred and powerful to use in the same meaning as "care" or "attract."

Does this sound way crazy? Like I said long time ago, you don't have to agree with me at all. You don't have to read this either. I am just stating what I believe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment