Monday, May 16, 2011

Recording My Thoughts

I thought this picture would be appropriate and I think it's cool. (It's not a picture of my journal. I don't have that kind of awesome handwriting.)

I do have a journal. (It's not a diary!!!) I've started writing on a journal since I was a senior in high school. I had a friend who would write his thoughts and feelings mostly instead of events and I thought that was pretty cool because since I had a lot of crap going on in my life, I thought I should do the same. It started out with a ton of roller coaster emotions then as I came to BYU and all, it changed to my thoughts and events happening around me. As you can see, I don't know what I would have done if I didn't write what I was thinking. I would have killed myself...not really...but seriously.

Growing up, I did have a journal or I should say a picture journal. What it is is that I would draw an event that happened then at the bottom, I would write about it. It's pretty cool. I kind of wish I had them still but I think we threw them away when we moved from a condo to a small apartment when my dad moved to here. (The rest of us were still in South Korea.)

Before I left on my mission, I told myself that I would write on my journal everyday. I kept that promise. If I missed a day, I would write it the next day. I tried so hard not to get behind ever. I would even make some notes on my planner so I wouldn't forget what had happened that day. Now I am so glad that I did that because I can read my journals and remember many things that happened on my mission.

I have been pretty bad at writing on my journal for few months because I thought my days were pretty much the same everyday since my mission. I am still using the journal that I started on April of last year. OK, maybe it doesn't sound as bad to some of you but it's pretty bad to me considering that I would go through a journal every 6-8 months on my mission. I needed to find a way to write more consistently and record almost everything that happens everyday.

The solution was pretty simple with technology like this. I could make a GoogleDoc and when I am at work, I can start recording what happened during work or the night before if I didn't get to record it. Then when I get home from work, I can copy down everything onto my journal and make some changes or corrections if necessary. This way, I can have a daily entry on my journal again. :)

I am not a huge fan of typing my journal entries because I don't get to write them. I want others, mostly my posterity, to know my handwriting. I think it would mean more to them to know that I put effort to write each letter out so that they can learn about me. (It's not like my life is very interesting.) I mean, I am a first generation to be in the U.S. and a first generation to be an LDS. (I say "first generation" since my whole family came here and joined the Church together.) I guess it's like a pioneer thing to do. I don't write on my journal for myself; I do it for them. I am ashamed and embarrassed about what I've written but it's part of who I am. They will have to know how I really was and I hope they can relate themselves to me. When they look at my journals, they will be look like this picture at the bottom.

I think that's why I am so careful at choosing journals and pens I use. It takes me hours to buy a journal and another hour to buy a pen. I want to get journals that would last a long time and pens that would look cool...and wouldn't smudge all over the page.

I never know how to end a blog. I guess I just don't know how to wrap it all up. Whatever...

0 comments:

Post a Comment