Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Opposition in All Things

If you have been following my blog for a little while, you should know how much this blog inspires me. This post is inspired by the same blog, especially this post. This morning I was reading Genesis 3:18,
18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
What was so amazing about this verse is the footnote of "thorns" which says "opposition." I have to read my study journal to quote exactly what I learned from just that verse but here's my thought: Adam worked hard and did what was good in the sight of God when he was kicked out of the Garden of Eden; however, that didn't stop weeds to grow and trials to occur. When farmers sow seeds, they don't sow weeds at all; however, that doesn't stop weeds to come out. It is the same for our lives because we do our best to live our lives according to God's will and commandments but sometimes bad things still happen to us. It's not that we are sinning but it's just the way life works.
Christ had "thorns" in His life also.
I am going to quote some of the things Lori, the author of the blog I mentioned in the beginning, quotes in the post.
"A broken heart is an open heart and [the Savior] can fill it." -Truman Madsen-
"[The Holy Ghost]... fills up every longing of the human heart...When I am filled with that Spirit, … my soul is satisfied." -Eliza R. Snow-
And this is what she wrote about her husband who passed away:
"Wes hardly ever complained about having cancer.
It was inconvenient, of course.
Bothersome.
Didn't jive with all of his plans.
But he dealt with it very quietly. Tacked it onto his agenda as one trial among a long list of mortal grievances and simply went about life as usual, working hard, loving his children, loving me."
No, I have never even met who these people are but somehow and somewhere (probably from the 100 Hour Board) I found out about them and started reading their blog. It is touching and very inspiring to me. I hope I can be more like Wes who knew what it meant to have "thorns and thistles" in his life but never stopped living his life the way the Father wanted him to. No matter what happens in my life, I should look for the future and be positive.

This reminded me of Elder Wirthlin's talk.


I hope we all can say, "Come what may" and "love it."

0 comments:

Post a Comment