Friday, January 11, 2013

Relationships

This is a very under-developed thought.

This semester, I am taking few interesting classes like Intro to Sociology and Marriage Prep classes. The reason why I think they are interesting is that I have been thinking a lot about relationships that we have not only with people but with objects.

I have talked a lot about holistic monism (everything is one). That is all about relationships also because you only exist in a relation to something else. You know something because of something else that is not (dialectic reasoning). For example, you know that there is a table/desk somewhere around you because of the space that it does not occupy. Another example, you know that I am a guy because you know that I am not a girl (or because existence of females make me a non-female; therefore, I am a male).

Now, we live our lives through these relationships that we have. If you were all by yourself (all alone and let's say, for the argument's sake, that there is no such thing as God), then what are you? You are nothing. You would say that you could exist because you can still think. Well, that means that you have a relationship with your thoughts. You exist through your relationship with your thoughts. If we were to get rid of any senses, do you exist? You can't touch, smell, hear, see, or taste anything. All you have is thoughts. Do you exist? Or do you not exist? If my assumption that you have a relationship with your thoughts are true and we were to get rid of the ability to think, do we exist at all?

Holy brain explosion!

Anyways, what I am trying to say is that we need relationships. We exist through relationships. I have read that people who commit suicide lack the feeling of belongingness. It makes sense to me because people want to be validated and want to exist somewhere. When they feel like they are alone and feel like they do not exist, what's the point of existing without people validating their existence?

If you are wondering about when I said "relationships with objects," what I meant is that we have relationships with objects also. Let say your shoes for example, when you buy a new pair of shoes, you might take care of them better than when they are old and torn. Also, you wouldn't just put your shoes in fire or somewhere they would get dirty because you have "feelings" for them. Obviously, it's a different relationship than people who can reciprocate those feelings but you still do have relationship with them. If you treat them poorly, they would not last long.

I am done talking.

Related Posts
My Existence
Holistic Monism Part 2
Holistic Monism

0 comments:

Post a Comment