Thursday, March 8, 2012

My Existence

"Cogito ergo sum." -René Descartes-
Many of you probably don't know what that means but if you know who RenĂ© Descartes is, you might be able to figure out that that says. It says, "I think, therefore I am."


"The thought 'I exist' cannot but be true when I think it; but I cannot doubt it without thinking of it. Hence, it is not only true but indubitable, because whenever I try to doubt it I see its truth." -Descartes-


I always (meaning since I took History of Psychology) thought that my existence can only exist by me. Hence, "I think, therefore I am." I exist because I think. A person cannot exist without wondering who he/she is and when he/she does think, the existence of that person becomes real. (I realize that this is a very controversial topic but just go along with me for the time being.)


Now, I think that that is a sad statement. If you only exist because you think, you are all by yourself. Even though I might believe that philosophy is true, I rather exist because someone else can see me, can touch me, cares for me, and loves me. Like a tree in the middle of a forest; if it falls and there is no one to hear it, is there a sound? No, because sound is perception and without someone to perceive the sound, there is no sound. It's the same for one's existence; if there is no one to perceive you, do you really exist? What kind of existence would you have if you are the only person who knows you exist? I think that's what I wanted for the longest time: someone who can validate my existence.


Related Post
Holistic Monism Part 2

0 comments:

Post a Comment