Friday, July 30, 2010

Education for naught?

Don't get too surprised to read this.

July 30, 2010

"I just realized something weird. I am sitting in Physical Science class thinking about where I am. Looking from a different view. Everyone here is sitting down in a classroom listening to a professor about other planets and I look at the clock, 10:52 and seconds passing. What is so weird about this? I don't know. I just had a weird feeling. Tons of people listening to one person to gain 'knowledge.' What makes him so respected? Why do we listen to him? Why are we all here? We are all from different places; yet, here we are.
All of us are parts of the universe. What makes us so special that we are on Earth, in the US, in Utah, and at BYU? Why are we here? What is our purpose? Why learn? Why learn from the same human being? Don't we all have the ability to learn the same thing on our own?
What is the purpose of learning of earthly things when the universe is so large and things might be different in other worlds? What are they learning there? Could position symmetry apply? What we are learning only limits ourselves from thinking more because we think this is all there is. But it's not! what we learn only limits us. This is what I needed to figure out! Our 'knowledge' limits us."


I know some of you or many of you will disagree with me. That's fine. I want you to. If you agree with me, it's the same as sitting in a classroom listening to a teacher and agreeing with him/her. However, if you disagree, you will think more and figure out why I am wrong. You will learn more about yourself than by agreeing with me. Perhaps chaos isn't really that bad after all. :)
But to prove my point, just think about all the classes. You sit in a class, listen, read textbooks, then take tests. Tests are to test your "knowledge" that you obtained in the class. What "knowledge" did you gain? You just got someone's opinion on something and you will never know if it really is true or not but trust the person that it is. That's all our "knowledge" is: someone's opinion. Of course, like I said before, you can disagree with me.
Think of a little kid, he/she always wonders "why?" We stopped that sometime in growing process. Maybe when we started school. We always have learned to listen to the teachers and do as they say. Kids look up to their teachers because they know "everything." With that in mind, we start to really believe that teachers know everything. Now here we are, listening and believing everything that teachers say. Just because they say it, doesn't make it true, does it? Chew on that little bit. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment