Monday, June 25, 2012

Fasting And Covenant

I feel like I should let you know this. When I write things that happen in my life especially spiritual things, I am not bragging that I am righteous or that I receive inspirations very frequently. I do not wish to do that. I am not righteous although I strive to be. I do not receive inspirations very frequently although I hope to. I just want all of you to feel the Spirit by reading my stories and thoughts so that you can receive your own inspirations. I wish to inspire you and hope that you feel the Spirit rather than I boast of myself.

This morning I woke up earlier than I needed to (I woke up at 7 even though I didn't have anything going on until 1 pm). I just got up, worked out, took a shower, wrote in my journal, then studied the scriptures. For some reason, I didn't feel like eating yet and thought that I should study the scriptures first. As I was studying about fear and doubt, I had a thought that I should fast today. I work for four hours everyday standing and moving books (many of them are very heavy). It requires a lot of strength and you get thirsty very quickly. Then I thought about how I don't have to do this tomorrow and that it would be easy for me to fast tomorrow rather than today. However, I quickly realized that I got this inspiration today, not tomorrow. I was told to do it today! Right then, I knelt down and offered up a prayer.

I turned this fast into a covenant. I made a covenant that I would fast until 5 pm and asked the Lord to bless me with two things (sorry, kind of personal). All I can tell you is that it wasn't easy at all. I was so thirsty and hungry when I was working. I complained few times; however, every time I felt complaining, I offered up a prayer in my heart. The Lord granted me one of those two things very soon, but the second one did not happen until it was a little past 5 pm. The Lord accepted my fast! Even though the second thing was a desire of natural men (nothing bad, I promise), the Lord still accepted my fast and granted it to me.

As I was writing this event in my journal, I thought of this famous scripture:
"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
"But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering" -James 1:5&6-
Have faith without any fear or doubt. If you fear or doubt, pray to have a perfect faith. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment