What does it feel like to forgive someone? I feel like there are people I have forgiven but still have bad feelings towards them whenever I think about them and I see them. Does that mean I have not forgiven them? What about not wanting to see them ever again? Did I truly forgive them?
“Forgiveness is freeing up and putting to better use the energy once consumed by holding grudges, harboring resentments, and nursing unhealed wounds. It is rediscovering the strengths we always had and relocating our limitless capacity to understand and accept other people and ourselves.” (With Suzanne Simon, Forgiveness: How to Make Peace with Your Past and Get On with Your Life (1990), 19.)
No, I still haven't forgiven them. How can I truly forgive them?
"We are all prone to brood on the evil done us. That brooding becomes as a gnawing and destructive canker. Is there a virtue more in need of application in our time than the virtue of forgiving and forgetting? " -President Hinckley-
Since I still have that this feeling of hatred and I don't ever want to see them or talk to them, I haven't truly forgiven them. I don't want that feeling of hatred to reside in me. It doesn't make me feel good and it definitely doesn't help me be virtuous. President Hinckley said in the same talk as the quote above that it won't be easy and it will take time to forgive the person but if I really seek it and am willing to forgive that person, I will find peace.
"My brothers and sisters, let us bind up the wounds—oh, the many wounds that have been caused by cutting words, by stubbornly cultivated grievances, by scheming plans to “get even” with those who may have wronged us. We all have a little of this spirit of revenge in us. Fortunately, we all have the power to rise above it, if we will “clothe [ourselves] with the bond of charity, as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace.” (D&C 88:125.)
"(2) As people forgive each other, they treat one another with Christlike love and have no bad feelings toward those who have offended them" -The Guide to the Scriptures-
Have charity for everyone. I have to remember that everyone is a child of God and God loves them as much as He loves me. I can't hold grudge or have hatred toward them. I must forgive them with Christ's love. I also have to find peace in my life through forgiving others.
0 comments:
Post a Comment