Thursday, July 21, 2011

I Am Blessed, Blessed, Blessed

One of my favorite hymns is Because I Have Been Given Much. Due to copyright issue, I couldn't link the title to a score for the song but I still wanted to post the lyrics.

"Because I have been given much, I too must give.
Because of thy great bounty, Lord each day I live.
I shall divide my gifts from thee with every brother that I see,
who has the need of help from me.

"Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care…
I cannot see another’s lack and I not share-
my glowing fire, my loaf of bread-my roof’s safe shelter over head,
that he too may be comforted.

"Because I have been blessed by thy great love dear Lord,
I’ll share thy love again according to thy word.
I shall give love to those in need. I’ll show that love by word and deed,
thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed."



I always feel what first line of ever verse but I neglect to think about the rest of the song. Because I have been blessed with so many things, I need to share it and give it to others. I need to "return the favor" so to say. God didn't ask us to return the favor to Him directly but serve others, give them what I have, and share what I own.


R to L: Quentin, Cristy, Lori and Tausha
I was thinking about this song when I was reflecting on last night, when I was hanging out with Cristy and Lori Crawford last night, and I realized how blessed I was to know them. (I hope you read this, Cristy and Lori) They are great friends who would listen to me talking about EVERYTHING. I really don't think there's anything I didn't inform them of. I haven't seen them for a long time so we had a lot to catch up on. Great friends help you understand how much you need to be loved and need others to rely on. Friends do make who you are.


A service project at USC
(Back to the song.) The song teaches the truths and more understanding of the scriptures Mosiah 2:17 and Matthew 25:40. When we serve others, we serve God also. By sending us to those in need, we become God's messengers or His instruments so we are serving Him. We also receive blessings of becoming His angels. (Watch or read The Ministry of Angels by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland)

Mormon Helping Hands
Heavenly Father didn't just hand all the blessings to us without expecting anything in return. He wants us to help those who are in need, those who have less than we do. Some of us don't have much at all but there are always other people who have less than we do. We can help them because the Lord has blessed us. We have the Gospel, the good news, when many people don't. I've been blessed with learning about the Gospel when I was 13 and it was my job and my duty to share this good news with people in Los Angeles, California.


"Count your blessings; see what God hath done. Count your blessing; name them one by one. Count your many blessings; see what God hath done." Count Your Blessings

Related Post
"Choose Your Friends Wisely"

0 comments:

Post a Comment