Saturday, July 16, 2011

Learning Truths From Songs




This is a song by a Korean band called G.O.D. (I don't know what they stand for). It was made in 2004 and it's called "Gil" or a road/path/street. I used to listen to them growing up. Yes, they are a boys band but that's all they got in Korea. I am going to write the loose translation of the song at the bottom. (It is super hard to translate perfectly. I could have two versions of the translation: line by line translation or paragraph by paragraph translation. I am going to do paragraph by paragraph because that doesn't sound too choppy.

"I don't know where this path is going,
where it's taking me,
where it's going to end up,
but even today I am still on the path.
(*Note: the part where a guy repeats the same sentence three times, he's saying 'I don't know' or more accurately, 'I can't figure it out.')
"People don't know if the path has been chosen
or they have to choose for themselves,
but I am on the path again.
(Chorus)"Why am I on this path?
Is this really my path?
Will my dream come true at the end of this path?
"I want to know what makes me happy.
Is it wealth, fame, or people I love?
I still can't find the answer.
"I want to say that it's my path with confidence
and I want to believe that.
I want to walk without looking back and without a regret
but I am still not confident.
(Chorus)"Why am I on this path?
Is this really my path?
Is my dream come true at the end of this path?
"What am I dreaming?
Who is this dream for?
Will I be able to smile when the dream comes true?
Where am I going now?
What am I supposed to live for?
(Chorus)"Why am I on this path?
Is this really my path?
Will my dream come true at the end of this path?
"Why am I on this path?
Is this really my path?
Will I be able to smile when the dream comes true?"


Now you might be wondering why I posted a Korean song that you don't understand and translated the whole song. Because I sometimes feel exactly the same way. I am sure everybody does time to time. "Am I supposed to be doing this?" "Am I supposed to be studying this?" "Am I supposed to be staying here?" We wonder what we are doing is exactly what God wants us to do. I pray and ask them what I should do but most of the times, I don't get this warm, fuzzy feeling that everybody talks about. So what do I do? I just go on with my life and make whatever I feel is right. I think mostly the Lord just presents to me what I should do or the path I should take like Beau, my roommate, buying a house so that I could move in with him and bunch of my friends.

What I don't understand about this music video though is a box and an egg. What are they supposed to represent? I understand the part where they see a road sign on their maps and see the exact same things in real life. (For example, one guy has a road sign of a kid and he sees a kid on the road.) I understand that on the path I am taking, certain things and people are placed there for me. I think this music video is very symbolic.

0 comments:

Post a Comment